We all know that community and conversation is important on the web. But without a few simple ground rules, that conversation can turn into a shouting match and keeps others from participating.
So here is my comments policy. By posting on my blog, you agree to the following:
1. You may comment on my posts.
2. You may post follow-up questions. If you have a question, others may also. Therefore, it is quicker and easier for me to address everyone at once than answer several emails about the same thing.
3. You may disagree with me. However, I ask that you do it in a respectful way. I think there is far too much arguing taking place online to tolerate it here.
4. I reserve the right to delete your comments. This is my personal blog. I am under no obligation to publish any comments. I will delete your comments if you post something that in my personal opinion is rudely sarcastic, off-topic, libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or in any way violates my personal sense of decorum and civility or violates any law (including intellectual property laws) or might be construed as “spam”. In other words if you attempt to advertise, solicit or otherwise promote goods and services. However, you may post a link to your site or your most recent blog post.
5. You retain ownership and responsibility for your comments. I do not own them and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. Furthermore, by commenting on my site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve me of any and all liability that may result from those postings.
6. You grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, nonexclusive, and royalty free. You grant me the right to store, use transmit,display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, a video or presentation.
Simply put, my goal for allowing comments is to host conversations that are interesting, with caring, considerate, honest and respectful people. I believe this simple comments policy will facilitate this goal.